Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Crazy Wednesday




I am so excited Scrappy Shannon has a new kit for me to play with, "Called Home" Close to my heart as my nephew went home to Jesus at birth in 1995, I will create something for his parents, they have so painfully little of him.


Today will be a little dicey, Addie (still 8, almost 9) has been coughing like crazy and has lost her voice and I seem to be developing another kidney infection. Sooooo we will have to get to the doctor today. We also have a meeting at 1:30 at the school. I need to clean the youth center, and then there is confirmation. So busy, but good, except for the doctor part, LOL!


I have high hopes for the meeting. It is hard for people to understand Reactive Attachment Disorder. It requires on to understand how profoundly early abuse and neglect affect a child. I too could have never grasped the profound affects before adopting. I DO empathize with those who don't understand, but it is frustrating as well. Well meaning people just think my girls need just a little more love. There are loved at home. Why else would we still be here 5 years later after all this family has been through to have these children in our family? The hard part for people is they LOOK so typical. They're wounds are on the inside, and difficult to address thereputically as they have little to no concious memories of what happened in those years.


They have made so much progress, and yet I am still so frightened for them. They still lack an ability to fit into societal norms, making and keeping freinds is very challenging. Staying focused on schoolwork is very difficult, and yet they are exceptionally bright children.


We struggle every day with how to best meet their needs, as do their therapists, doctors and mental health workers. When all these professionals are stuggling, how can people on the outside who have no training in RAD seem to think they know all about these girls and what they need. It is hard. These are people I like and respect, but again, wrapping your mind around what these girls have survived is painful for adults, so they focus on the fact that they LOOK so typical.


I read a quote in a book I borrowed from my freind Cheryl it said "There are no children here, they have seen too much to be children". I cried when I read that, as it seemed to embody my girls. Amazing children, survivors, if we could only get them to understand their potential and the amazing plans God holds for these girsl.......

Blessings! -DeAnna

No comments:

Post a Comment